7 Ways to Skin a Xamarin Developer
Xamarin is a powerful .NET/C#-based set of tools that are used for Android, iOS, and Windows cross-platform development. Developers choose it because it’s easy to learn and it takes into account the unique features of each platform.
On February 24, 2016, Microsoft and Xamarin announced a global partnership. Additionally, Xamarin now provides deeper integration with Visual. Therefore, Xamarin developers are of high demand on today’s market. Let’s find out how to interview a Xamarin developer and what special skills are worth your attention
7 Key Technical Skills That Will Help You Skin a Qualified Xamarin Programmer
- C#/ASP.NET. Xamarin programmers use the C# language to build apps for Android, iOS, and Windows. During the technical interview, you can ask your candidate C#/.NET-related questions regarding their knowledge of C# classes, methods, properties, XAML, HTML-based pages, state management, UI controls, web services, data binding, etc.
- Microsoft Visual Studio/Xamarin Studio. Xamarin Studio is tightly integrated with Microsoft Visual Studio, so ask the candidate whether they have a deep understanding of Microsoft Visual Studio and how to run it for app development. Besides, a Xamarin programmer should be able to develop, debug, and deploy apps by using Microsoft Visual Studio.
- API and third-party libraries. During the interview, ask the Xamarin developer which third-party libraries and APIs they used in their previous projects and what was the purpose of using these tools.
- MVVM. Understanding of the MVVM (Model-View-View-Model) architecture pattern is also important for Xamarin developers to work collaboratively on a project.
- Reusability of code across platforms. Ask the candidate about their familiarity with Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.Mac, and how they utilize code with these tools across different platforms.
- Strong OOP/OOD skills in C#/Java/Objective-C/Swift. It is also important that the candidate understands the principles of object-oriented programming and design with cross-platform programming languages.
- Experience with iOS SDK and Xcode. This experience is required to develop mobile apps for Apple’s iOS operating system.
We hope that the questions related to the abovementioned skills will help you spot a Xamarin developer that is a perfect match for your team and your project. We wish you good luck!